It's Fly Lice You Plick

Friday, October 14, 2005

Business Cards Revisited

While on the topic of business cards, has anyone noticed that nobody ever reads them? I think the general life cycle of your typical business card is:

1. Card is received.
2. Card is carelessly filed away in wallet (unread).
3. Wallet becomes disorganized.
4. Owner of wallet takes fat stack of business cards out, glances them over, probably can't remember who gave it to him/her.
5. Card is tossed in the garbage.

See, it's only the act of giving the cards that impresses people. So instead of clearing out my wallet, I just randomly hand out cards from it. Two birds with one stone, essentially. So far, I've been:

-David Lake, Applications Support Analyst (sorry Dave, I'll have to hit you up for a new card)
-Ricardo Gonzalez, Spray Equipment Salesman
-Sara Chan, Stock Broker (and mom)
-"$2.00 off your next haircut" coupon (expired)

I usually hand them out at parties packed with people I'll probably never meet again. In most cases, I introduce myself as I normally would (but with other people's cards). People take the cards, put them away and I would imagine months later, wonder when they ever met [insert name from card]. On a few odd occasions, though, I introduce myself as whoever it is on that card, weaving intricate tales of their past exploits at whatever position it was they held. Most people don't fall for it though. I guess a Chinese guy named "Aleksandra Zaranska" would pass off as a bit suspicious.

1 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, October 17, 2005, Blogger Fly Lice You Plick said...

Make it two cards and you've got yourself a deal.

I should just go and pay the money to get some cards made out. Put M's name on it with the job title: "I did your mom." With his phone number and address. Hand it out at parties and hilarity will ensue.

I should compile all these blog entries into something more cohesive some time down the road. The first thing I have to do is clear off my mantlepiece for all the Pulitzers I'm obviously going to receive (so long as they have a "worst usage of grammar" category).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home