It's Fly Lice You Plick

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Melaka: A Picture Tour

Room #2's customers chatted loudly amongst themselves while waiting outside my room last night (despite my protests), costing me some much needed sleep. Budget accommodation is quite scarce in the historic district so I think I'll have to spend another night here.

I'll spare you the details of my walking tour of Melaka. Here are a bunch of photos instead:

Store front water lillies on the way to breakfast:

This pooch came to see what I was so interested in:

Old minimalistic Indian temple:

Visitors of Chen Hoon Teng, the local Chinese temple, honour their ancestors by burning paper replicas of household items. It is believed that the burned items will be used by their departed loved ones in the afterlife. If you look closely at the picture, you'll see items ranging from slippers to toiletries to cars (Mercedes Benzes being the most popular among Malaysian Chinese):

Ice Kacang (like a snow cone)- perfect for a hot day:

Eng Choon Association:

Graffiti in a back alley:

Pimped out rickshaws:

Beautifully restored shophouse:


There were basically two reasons I went into this naval museum/Portuguese vessel replica. It was good place to escape the daytime heat (I parked myself on a bench under an a/c vent by the brig) and it was a perfect excuse to talk like a pirate yarr.

St. Francis Xavier:

17th century Dutch grave inscription:

Old man reading his book aloud:

1 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, March 18, 2006, Blogger Alcuin Bramerton said...

Yes, thank you for sparing me the details of your walking tour of Melaka. It was with some trepidation that I turned on my computer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home