It's Fly Lice You Plick

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Decisions Decisions

M hasn't given me a moment's solace since I gave notice last week. I figure he needs to get as much computer advice as possible before my probably less patient successor takes over. It's odd because I actually haven't given him any useful information for months now. Sometimes I just go nuts on my clicky pen until he goes away.

So M's dilemma du jour involves his computer, which is currently undergoing some sort of minor warranty work in the shop. He's planning on buying a $300 computer for the interim. Let me remind you that he's middle aged, up to his eyeballs in debt, lives with his parents and gets paid slightly more than minimum wage. I doubt he can afford this temporary computer. He comes to me because my opinion is important, or rather, he wants me to validate his decision.

There was a time when I would've talked him out of it. You know, tell him that it'll only be a few more days, use his dad's computer in the mean time and save his money for something important like a downpayment for his own place. Now I just say whatever it takes to get rid of him as quickly as possible. My response to today's problem was:

"$300? That's a sweet deal! Do it up, man!"

I guess two and a half years of dealing with him has jaded me somewhat. I reserve my compassion for people who matter now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home