It's Fly Lice You Plick

Friday, February 17, 2006

Travel Day: Pulau Perhentian Kecil

I boarded the 8:30 bus out of Kota Bharu this morning, stopping at Pasir Puteh to catch my connecting bus to the jetty over in Kuala Besut. This is all irrelevant information, I’m sure, but it’s good to document these things if ever I need to refer back (I probably won’t). A bumpy half hour ride on a speedboat took me from the jetty to Long Beach on Pulau Perhentian Kecil, the smaller of the two Perhentian islands.

A sign at the Pasir Puteh bus station – further evidence of the conservative atmosphere in this state:

It seems I’ve caught the Perhentians at the right time because the monsoon season has only just ended and guest houses have started opening their doors again for business. The beaches are still relatively quiet so room rates are currently half price. The drawback is that most amenities are still unavailable or are extremely limited. Electricity, for example, is provided through generators here. The hotel I’m staying at, as with the others here cannot justify running them overnight for a few guests. I only get electricity between 7 PM and midnight. Satellite internet hasn’t been set up just yet and I’m already developing the shakes.

The cool sea breeze, clear blue water and friendly atmosphere have convinced me to extend my stay, though the exorbitant cost of food is limiting me to a maximum of one week.


Night time from my window:


You can't swim too far out here:

It's quiet:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home