It's Fly Lice You Plick

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Travel Day: Nong Khai, Sala Kaew Ku

Having exhausted both my 15 day Lao visa and most of Vientiane’s sights (which are few in number), I packed my bags and set off for the Thai border town of Nong Khai, a half hour bus ride away. The border crossing was taken care of by mid-morning, leaving most of the day free to check out the town.

So with guidebook in hand, I hopped on a rented bicycle and puttered about town a bit before going to Sala Kaew Ku, a sculpture park a few kilometers east of the city limits. The sculptures here are based on an exiled Lao national’s interpretation of Hindu and Buddhist folklore.

An old Isan (Northeastern Thai) tradition of tying strings to the wrist, symbolically binding people together has been applied to many of the statues in the park.

The gateway to hell:

Buddha under the shade of 7 Nagas (snakes):




Slow day for business in Nong Khai:

6 Comments:

At 3:39 AM, June 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're enjoying yourself

Good luck for the rest of your journey .
ขอให้คุณมีโชคดี

 
At 6:25 AM, June 09, 2006, Blogger Big Mama said...

Keep those posts and pics coming, I was SO jonesing!

 
At 3:00 PM, June 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey jon. dont run out of money yet. its not time to get home yet. =).

 
At 8:37 PM, June 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't you tired of travelling?
Since you left I have:
-lost weight
-my dad had open heart surgery
-my dog got sick then better
-bought a house
-new CEO at my company
-napped every weekend

Rachel

 
At 4:02 AM, June 16, 2006, Blogger Fly Lice You Plick said...

Hey all!

Sorry for the lack of updates. I'm in the remote northern reaches of Cambodia and internet, if it is at all available, is freaking pricey($4USD per hour in the last place I was at).

Naw I'm not tired of traveling just yet. I met an older French lady who works for an NGO in Phnom Penh, which is starting to sound like an interesting way to kill a couple of months.

Anyway. Got to go. Time's a wasting.

 
At 3:41 PM, June 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice. cya when i get back in bangkok. for a little while, i guess before you go on your six-week vacation tour on the beach.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home