It's Fly Lice You Plick

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Vientiane: Rule #6

The manager of the guest house insisted on laying down some ground rules after I checked in this afternoon. Most of the spiel was your run of the mill guest house policy (no loud noise after 11:00, don’t leave valuables in the room, checkout time is 12 noon, etc. etc. etc.). Mid lecture he started going off on an odd tangent.

Like the beginnings of an off colour joke, he recounted a tragic story of an Englishman, a prostitute and a khathoey (lady boy). So it goes, a few months ago, this Englishman invited his two local “friends,” the prostitute and the ladyboy, to spend a night at the guest house. Long story short, the Englishman woke up the following morning with no prostitute, no khathoey, no money and worst of all, no passport. Unfortunately for him, he couldn’t report this to the authorities because it would implicate him in some wrongdoing of his own. Laos has a strict law in place prohibiting foreigners from sleeping with her citizens.

It was at the conclusion of this story that the manager pointed at guest house rule number 6:

“No prostitute, no ladyboy allowed in room. We cannot take responsible [sic] for your action.”

I suppose the punch line, if you can call it that, would be that the whole sordid mess took place right on this very bed in this very room (you can’t see this but I’m pointing at my bed).

The floor’s starting to look mighty comfortable right about now.

7 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, May 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey. im guessing you didnt sleep on the floor.

 
At 7:25 AM, May 28, 2006, Blogger Fly Lice You Plick said...

Nope. I sprayed down the bed with bug repellant, laid down a makeshift bed sheet (man skirt) and made the most of a bad situation.

 
At 3:14 PM, June 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where art thou, its been almost a month - worried!

 
At 2:49 AM, June 03, 2006, Blogger Fly Lice You Plick said...

Hey folks!

I'm still very much alive!

I just arrived in the town of Kampot, Cambodia about 20 minutes ago. I admit, I've been a little lazy updating the blog - I have only myself (and freecell) to blame... Anyway, I hope to catch things up in the next couple of weeks. Before I head to Vietnam for sure.

Anyway, my inbox says that it's my birthday apparently, so I guess I'll treat myself to a nice fancy meal ($3!).

Later

 
At 2:51 AM, June 03, 2006, Blogger Fly Lice You Plick said...

Oh, as for Brangelina, I went to the temple where they shot tomb raider... I have a picture of a tree from the movie. Does that count?

 
At 9:02 PM, June 03, 2006, Blogger Big Mama said...

That TOTALLY counts, & Happy Birthday!

I was getting worried too, I haven't been able to get my "Jon-fix". Glad to hear you're safe and I can't wait to see the pics.

 
At 11:12 PM, June 05, 2006, Blogger Fly Lice You Plick said...

Hey! Thanks (or aw kohn, as the locals say)for checking in on me. Internet is atrocious here (Sihonoukeville, Cambodia) and uploading pictures is nigh on impossible. Going to give it another try when I go to Phnom Penh in a few days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home