It's Fly Lice You Plick

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Vang Vieng - High Roller

Break out the fine champagne and gold plated monocles, I’m a millionaire*!

It happened innocently enough with a trip to the currency exchange booth. I handed over a few bills, and in return, got this thick fat brick of banknotes (1,064,000 Lao kip to be precise):

So as a newly inducted member of the nouveau riche, I feel it’s my duty, no, my moral obligation to partake in a few grotesque displays of excess. For example, I’m just about to drop thirty grand for a night in a hotel. Maybe I’ll celebrate later by laying down another five large on a cup of coffee or, God forbid, 25,000 on a fine gourmet meal (tuna sandwich and juice).

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to schmooze with the other high society types.

*The current exchange rate is approximately 10,000 Lao Kip to 1 US Dollar. I’m still a no good bum.

4 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, May 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cha-ching! A wad of cash like that could buy some very nice shoes no doubt ;)

 
At 8:59 AM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Fly Lice You Plick said...

Perhaps two even

 
At 11:29 AM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Big Mama said...

Good luck finding shoes in your size there, LOL!

I remember when I lived in Italy, we would wait for a good exchange day to pay our electric bill... Enjoy the high life (um... for the moment)...

 
At 1:18 PM, May 21, 2006, Blogger Fly Lice You Plick said...

oooh. That reminds me. I think I still have a few lire notes in my piggy bank back home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home