It's Fly Lice You Plick

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Chiang Rai: Mae Kok, Tham Tu Phu, Buddha Cave

The temples within Chiang Rai’s city center were out of the question for today’s itinerary – I got templed out somewhere in Mae Hong Son and have decided to take a break from them. So instead, I put down a few baht, rented a mountain bike and rode a number of kilometers north of the city limit to see the countryside and check out some marginally interesting sights along the way. In order to do so, I had to cross over the Mae Kok river.

Some random facts about Mae Kok:

-A bridge had to be constructed over Mae Kok to accommodate for its ample girth.
-Mae Kok has a temple dedicated in its honour.
-Countless people travel up and down Mae Kok every day.
-Mae Kok is truly a magnificent sight to behold.
(tee hee)

The bridge over Mae Kok:


I do apologize for that temporary lapse in maturity. It had to be done. They made it too easy.

Anyway, the casual bike ride in the countryside led me to Tham Tu Pu caves, where a small shrine was set up.

The place was deserted except for a few puppies caged up by a generator. The resident monks must have gone out for some errands.

Further up was the thousand Buddha cave, which was a bit of a letdown. I only counted a couple of dozen.

This one didn't look like Buddha at all:

Not the most exciting days, I know, but it was a good change of pace, especially with my impending trip to Laos just around the corner.

2 Comments:

At 7:37 PM, May 08, 2006, Blogger Big Mama said...

That doesn't look like Buddha, he looks scarey!

 
At 3:44 AM, May 09, 2006, Blogger Fly Lice You Plick said...

He sort of reminds me of a Mexican wrestler.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home