It's Fly Lice You Plick

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Pai: Rót Maw-Toe-Sai

Most of the attractions (for the non-hippie) in Pai are located well outside of the town’s boundaries. They aren’t spectacular enough for tour companies to offer trips out to them but they’re interesting enough to check out nonetheless, especially if the alternative is to hang out in boring old coffee shops all day.

Luckily, I chanced on a promotional sticker on yesterday’s bus ride claiming the following:
-24 hour scooter rental: 140 baht (about $4.00 CAD)
-Free helmet rental
-Insurance service provided: additional 60 baht (about $1.70 CAD)
-Additional 6 hours rental with mention of this ad

Considering all the factors, the decision was pretty simple.

Before heading to the rental agency this morning, I made a quick stop at the store to restock on my snacks – I indulged last night and ate my asse (that came out wrong, didn’t it?).

I will tell you this: having never ridden a motorbike before, I wasn’t prepared to feel the complete exhilaration of tearing through winding mountain roads with the cool wind in my face and an undeniable sense of freedom. Needless to say, a stupid grin was plastered on my face for at least the first couple of hours riding. Many of the villagers reciprocated with the signature Thai smile as I drove past and a couple of children even came out to wave at the farang passing through. Despite the lackluster sights, I think today’s been one of the most memorable to date.

Today’s photos (Nothing too exciting here. I was too preoccupied with the bike):

I'm glad these signs were at every major intersection close to town. I kept forgetting:

WWII Memorial Bridge

Burmese statue, Wat Phra Tat Mae Yen:

Obligatory Hobbes Photo

Pai Canyon. You can suffer a pretty bad case of vertigo on these narrow paths:


Lisu tribeswoman:

Tha Pai Hotspring. You can go for a hot bath fed by the springs in the nearby spa but I doubt they get much business during this season - the temperature was hovering in the thirties today.

For future reference, this sign means fun ahead.

2 Comments:

At 6:48 AM, April 25, 2006, Blogger Big Mama said...

I bet you couldn't wipe that smile off your face! LOL!! Hobbes looks quite comfy, so who drove, you or him?!?!

 
At 4:30 AM, April 29, 2006, Blogger Fly Lice You Plick said...

I couldn't stop smiling despite the swarms of bugs getting in my teeth. Hobbes insisted on taking the wheel but couldn't reach the handlebars.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home