It's Fly Lice You Plick

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Chiang Mai: Songkran

Chaos has gripped the moated perimeter of Chiang Mai’s old quarter in light of Songkran, the Thai New Year. Drive by’s from fully loaded pickup trucks are the norm, usually spurring revenge shootings from pedestrians. Children, let me emphasize this, children shooting at each other, leaving many of their victims floating along the river in their wake.

Thankfully it’s just a water fight. Quite possibly the largest in the world.

In its subdued form, the gesture of sprinkling of water over somebody’s head during Songkran is one of respect. I’m led to believe that the Thai philosophy of sanook (fun) and the hot season have evolved this tradition to its current state. That said, the old tradition is still alive. Temporary Buddhist shrines are set up throughout the city for people to bless the Buddha (pour water from a silver cup over a statue). Also, amidst theturmoil, a number of Thais have approached me, wished me a happy new year (sawatdee piimai khrap/khaa) and gently poured a small cupful of water over my head. I have witnessed the same people turn around and whip bucketfuls of water at speeding motorbikes as they pass.

My weapon of choice for the event:

It’s a little underpowered, I know, but at least it lets people know I will pop a cap if the need arises.

I’ve mostly been targeting kids during my day long walks around the city. To my defense, they're usually the ones who start it. I also shot a cop in the back before I ran off giggling. Does that add to my street cred, I wonder?

4 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, April 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which side of the pistol does the water come out?

 
At 12:42 AM, April 22, 2006, Blogger Fly Lice You Plick said...

The mouth originally... but he sprang a leak near the end

 
At 10:12 AM, April 22, 2006, Blogger Big Mama said...

You faked me out!!! LOL!!! What a great blog-piece. The "Carnival" in Panama is a huge citywide waterfight as well, so much fun!! We've been missing you lately. Hope all is well.

 
At 1:15 AM, April 23, 2006, Blogger Fly Lice You Plick said...

Oh it was great fun. Highly recommended trip and it's pretty family safe too!

I've been having a little bit too much fun over the last couple of weeks hence the lack of updates. I hope to work on some posts tonight if I get a chance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home