It's Fly Lice You Plick

Monday, April 10, 2006

Chiang Mai: Sketchy Policies

It wasn’t until about 7:30 AM that I finally checked into the guesthouse and got myself good and settled in my room. I figured a quick snooze would get me back on track for an afternoon exploring the city. The nap was brief to say the least as I awoke to the sound of my door, the one I had locked earlier, clicking open (both deadbolts were broken). I didn’t have my glasses on at the time but I could still make out a blurry figure in the doorway. From it came a woman’s voice. She said:

“Sawatdee khaa” [Hello]

“You like I clean room?”

Considering I had only been in the room for no more than an hour and a half, I wondered why clean sheets and a mopped floor were in order. Perhaps my reputation precedes me? Make of that as you will.

Only when I shooed her away and closed the door did I notice this sign:

Officially, the memo absolves the guesthouse from any liability, should the room be broken into. Unofficially, it gives staff the green light to take off with anything valuable that’s not bolted down.

So it looks like my first order of business in Chiang Mai is to buy a bike chain to lock my closet shut. This’ll be good practice for future stops along the way, especially when I head into Laos and Cambodia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home