It's Fly Lice You Plick

Monday, May 29, 2006

Siem Reap: Angkor Wat

Because yesterday's moto driver kept hurrying us along from site to site, we decided it best to rent a pair of mountain bikes so we could take in the temples at our own pace.

Stretching about a kilometer and a half from end to end, Angkor Wat is widely considered the world’s largest religious structure. The temple was built at the apex of Angkorian society and is the de facto symbol of Khmer national pride. Its image can be found on just about everything Cambodian, from its flag to its national beer and cartons of cigarettes.

A pair of old Buddhist nuns loitered around a Vishnu statue near the temple entrance.


I bought a piece of chalk and a sketch pad last night in hopes of making a souvenir temple rubbing but a caretaker stopped me just before I could finish. Apparently, what I was doing is considered illegal. Oops.

Once inside the central structure, we followed a series of bas-reliefs depicting the Mahabharata, a Hindu epic. The convoluted tale was lost on me, though, as I found it difficult keeping track of all the various deities and mythological beasts.

A dried up lotus flower left as an offering on a window sill:



Elephant crossing:

Monkey picnic:

Preah Kahn temple

4 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, June 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice. Angkor Wat. What's the name of that wat? Angkor Wat. What's the name of the wat? Angkor Wat. I said, what is the name of the wat? What??? WHAT'S THE NAME OF THE WAT? ANGKOR WAT!!!!!! What?!?!?! =). Just messin' with ya.

 
At 7:38 PM, June 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your pix are beautiful... keep haveing fun and keep posting!

 
At 11:04 AM, June 28, 2006, Blogger Fly Lice You Plick said...

Buh. My head asplode.

Still having great fun but I'm so far behind I'm not sure how to catch up. I've got wi-fi for the next day in Saigon so I'll work on getting a couple more posts in before I move on.

 
At 11:40 AM, July 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see that you're having so much fun out there. Do take care of yourself, hope to see you back in town soon!

BTW, your photos are awesome! :)

Winston

 

Post a Comment

<< Home