It's Fly Lice You Plick

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Wet Markets and Manskirts

The morning started out with a quick trip to the neighbourhood wet market for some nasi lemak and a couple of curry puffs - two things I haven't enjoyed in ages. They are just as good as I remembered. The added bonus was that I got an opportunity to pick up a new set of pajamas while I was there (I absent mindedly left mine at home). For RM$11 (about $3.50 CAD), I got myself a nice Indian made sarong (I call it a manskirt) to lounge around in. It's kosher for guys to wear them here. Really.

I always get a kick out of this place because, unlike pasar seni (central market) in Kuala Lumpur, it's not one of those heavily touristed areas, corrupted by souvenir stands and the like. The ground floor has a side full of hawker stalls where you'll see groups old men sitting around drinking tea, reading their newspapers and catching up on the latest gossip. Along the other side lies the wet market itself, where they sell all sort of meat (live or recently alive) and coconuts. I actually found the smell of the coconuts more offensive than that of the livestock. The second floor houses a number of fruit vendors, stalls selling knock off clothing and handbags and snack shops/news vendors. I'm not sure what's in the third floor - I hope it's just as interesting as the first two. I'll have to bring my camera the next time I'm up here (hopefully for tomorrow's breakfast).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home