It's Fly Lice You Plick

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Ratanakiri: Late Night Hauntings and Meteor Crater Lakes

An overactive imagination kept me up ‘til the wee hours last night, forcing me to sleep through my alarm clock this morning. It’s embarrassing to admit but I’d somehow convinced myself that the room next door, the one I switched out of yesterday (because the used condom I found under the bed was attracting ants), was haunted. See, I’m the only one staying in this particular building and it’s prone to blackouts. Strange thing about this "haunted" room is, every time I pass it, the door’s always open. Stranger still, I lock and close the door each time I pass it so it should remain shut. Aside from the slight hum of my fan, the building is silent so I should be able to hear the door clicking open. Suffice it to say, I spent a good portion the night staring wide eyed at the ceiling, imagining the worst as one of the creaking window shutters banged on its frame in tandem with the wind. Things worked out though, I wasn’t visited by anything supernatural over the night and Andrew, Thien An and Caroline had slept in as well.

Following brunch at the “American Restaurant” (a hole in the wall place on the opposite side of town) we hopped on our rented bicycles and rode Eastwards to Boeng Yeak Lom, a perfectly round 700,000 year old meteor crater lake.

A krama dust mask for the bike ride:

We spent what little we had left of the afternoon swimming in the lake.

This guy looks a little confused:

Gutted by termites:

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home