It's Fly Lice You Plick

Friday, June 30, 2006

Travel Day: Mui Ne

So I'm sitting right at the back of the bus (that's where the cool kids sit, right?), minding my own business, when the reserve bus driver shows up. He wants the whole row to himself so that he can lie down for a nap. He ain't taking no for an answer. Now, the reason I'm sitting here is because Asian buses are made, well, for Asian people. That is to say, they don't accommodate for taller folk.

Anyway, the situation soon escalated to a battle of wills. I refused to budge because:

A. I'm a paying customer
B. I was there first

Of course, the reserve bus driver saw things differently because as the "reserve bus driver" (I guess he drives if something happens to the existing bus driver), he felt that the back seat was his entitlement. I suppose it would've been easier if I just gave in to his incessant hounding but at this point, I'm getting tired of being bullied around. At a stalemate, he decided to go ahead and lie down next to me, resting his legs on my lap and kicking me now and then out of spite. I stayed put on principle.

Things didn't improve much when we arrived in Mui Ne. Andrew went up front to tell the guy driving the bus to drop us off at a guesthouse along the way (as we had been promised). Unfortunately for us, bus drivers here get paid a commission for every passenger who stays at the guesthouse at the designated stop. We weren't allowed off and had to wait an hour to get back to the place we chose.

It should go without saying, customer service in Vietnam needs work.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home